IFISC offers a new postdoctoral position, funded by the European Research Council through the ERC Starting Grant ARCTIC, on the development of strategies for the identification of vulnerable nodes in functional complex networks.
IFISC’s strategic objective is the study, exploration and development of information processing in and by complex systems. This comprises connecting existing approaches in different fields, developing common frameworks and the synthesis of novel information processing concepts. Within this context, ARCTIC proposes the study of air transport as an information processing system, in which information, for instance representing delays, is received, processed and redistributed by the different elements of the system. This requires, on the one hand, the application of techniques coming from computer science, statistical physics and neuroscience. On the other hand, results have to be expressed in economic terms, to understand the real impact that delays have in society, and the impact of propagation containment policies.
Your tasks will be:
- To develop models and algorithms to identify the vulnerable parts (nodes, communities, etc.) of a functional complex network – i.e. a network representing the flow of information in a system, reconstructed from macro-scale data of its dynamics.
- To test such algorithms in synthetic models representing the propagation of delays in air transport. This will also include the participation in the definition of such synthetic models.
- Leveraging on the results obtained by the group, both on the extraction of real propagation networks and on the assessment of the economic cost of delays, to apply the developed algorithms on the real European air transport network. This will include the design of optimised containment policies and the assessment of the resulting impact.
- Contribute to the definition of new ideas, metrics, and analyses.
- Presenting results in meetings and through manuscripts.
What we offer:
- Up to 2 years full time contract, gross salary of approx. 29.000 €/year, plus mobility funds for research stays.
- Multidisciplinary, international and inspiring environment.
- The contract includes all the benefits of the Spanish public health and social security system.
- Familiarity with complex network theory, and with the concept of functional complex networks.
- Experience in the analysis of real-world data. Knowledge of Python will positively be evaluated.
- Ability for independent, analytical and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Knowledge of air transport and / or neuroscience, albeit not essential, will positively be evaluated.
- PhD academic degree. Note that the degree must be recognised according to Spanish regulations.
- English language fluency.
Application submissions should be made by sending an email to email@example.com, with “Postdoctoral position 2023” as subject, and including:
- Letter of motivation
- Updated CV with full academic record
- Copy of previously-published scientific papers.
The position will remain open until filled.
Further inquiries about the position are welcome and should be addressed to the same email address.
IFISC is an equal opportunity institution. Applications to this position by female or minority group scientists are particularly encouraged.