Turbulence and nonlinear phenomena in fluid flows
- Course code: 11018
- Semester: 2nd
- Credits (ECTS): 3 credits
- Teaching hours:
- Teaching guide: Teaching Guide (PDF)
- Instabilities and transition to turbulence.
- Eulerian and Lagrangian description of fluid flows. The equations of fluid dynamics.
- Fully developed turbulence. 2/3 Law and the Law of energy disipation. Kolmogorov's 41 Theory. Two dimensional flows.
- Intermittency and Multifractality.
- Dispersion in fluid flows. Turbulent and shear dispersion. Relative dispersion.
- Chaotic Advection. Hamiltonian Dynamics and KAM tori. Open flows.
- Lyapunov Exponents. Finite-time and Finite-size Lyapunov Exponents. Hyperbolic structures and manifolds. Applications to ocean dynamics.
- Mixing of the passive scalar.