- Course code: 11004
- Semester: 1st
- Credits (ECTS): 3 credits
- Teaching hours:
- Teaching guide: Teaching Guide (PDF)
- Introduction and Phenomenology. Patterns in convection and other fluid instabilities. Chemical reactions. Optics. Biological processes..
- Linear stability analysis for partial differential equations. The cases of confined systems and large systems..
- Weakly nonlinear analysis. Method of multiple scales. The Swift-Hohenberg model. Types of instabilities.
- Amplitude equations. Generic phenomena. Ginzburg-Landau type equations. Secondary instabilities. Complex spatiotemporal behavior.
- Phase dynamics. Periodic modulations of patterns and waves.