Cooperative and critical phenomena
- Course code: 11292
- Semester: 1st
- Credits (ECTS): 6 credits
- Teaching hours:
- Teaching guide: Teaching Guide (PDF)
- Introduction to phase transitions and critical phenomena.
- Reticular models and universality classes.
- The mean field approach. The Landau theory. The hamiltonian of Ginzburg-Landau.
- Scale Invariance.
- The renormalization group.
- Kinetic Ising models.
- Kinetics of self-aggregation and gelation. The DLA model.
- The percolation theory.
- Surface growth and the KPZ equation.
- Emergence of collective behaviour. Flocking, swarming and herd behaviour.